Monday, October 6, 2008
Discovery

Full of youthful exuberance
The children search the basement
Full of items long forgotten
Long discarded.
They are pirates
And Vikings
Searching for buried treasure
Under the piles
Of my “vintage” clothing.
The three year-old is practically basking
In the glow of many, many Barbie dolls.
The kindergartner
Is ecstatic with his discovery
Of my brother’s former playthings:
Tonka trucks.
And I…
I am exploring an ancient trunk
In the corner, covered in cobwebs.
I am learning
Who my parents really are.


82 / 50000 words. 0% done!

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Jill at 9:52 PM |

7 Comments:

At October 7, 2008 at 4:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Nice discovery poem, I remember Tonka trucks.

Tonka trunks?
 


At October 7, 2008 at 9:22 AM, Blogger Jill said........
Ooops! Typo.

Thanks :)
 


At October 9, 2008 at 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Evcen simple discoveries arouse our curiosity and expand out understanding.
 


At October 9, 2008 at 11:38 PM, Blogger Tumblewords: said........
Ah, I can see this! Great discoveries.
 


At October 10, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Blogger mariposa said........
Another great poem :) I like how it starts off so innocent, and then takes an unexpected twist.
 


At October 10, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said........
Nicely written, Jill. I hope your parent's secrets remain undiscovered, though.